Originally, the cemetery was located within the city walls on what is now the upper castle garden terrace, adjacent to the then Martinskirche, the predecessor of the city and castle church. Around 1570, Count Albrecht of Nassau-Weilburg conducted extensive construction work on the castle and around 1572 laid out a garden in the area of the Martinskirche. The establishment of this garden and the limited space within the city walls made it necessary to relocate the cemetery. With the conclusion of the Reformation in the County of Nassau in 1555, the area around the Passion sites became available for use as a new cemetery. The existing Holy Sepulcher Chapel subsequently served as a burial chapel. From 1574, funeral sermons were held here, and burials continued to take place in the old cemetery until October 1900. An exception is Hans-Georg Böhme, who was buried there in 1953 for his contributions to the research of the Passion sites. The terraced area slopes off in two directions. The upper eastern cemetery terrace was handed over to the Catholic parish of Weilburg in 1957 for the construction of a new church. Existing mortal remains were reburied in a communal grave, some grave monuments were relocated, but a large portion was removed. This site also contained 22 fallen soldiers from the war of 1870/71; a memorial plaque on the church tower of the Catholic Church commemorates this. Today, a part of the cemetery belongs to the Protestant parish, including the north-south strip with the Holy Sepulcher Chapel up to the surrounding wall behind the Holy Cross. The eastern part is owned by the city of Weilburg. In the early 1980s, the city planned to transform the old cemetery into a park. The initial work resulted in the destruction of numerous grave monuments. Following protests from the citizens, the plan was halted, and the cemetery was instead designed as a park-like facility.
Ursprünglich befand sich der Kirchhof innerhalb der Stadtmauern auf der heutigen oberen Schlossgartenterrasse, in der Nachbarschaft der damaligen Martinskirche, der Vorgängerin der Stadt- und Schlosskirche. Um 1570 ließ Graf Albrecht von Nassau-Weilburg umfangreiche Baumaßnahmen am Schloss durchführen und um 1572 im Bereich der Martinskirche einen Garten anlegen. Die Anlage dieses Gartens und der begrenzte Platz innerhalb der Stadtmauern machten eine Verlegung des Kirchhofs notwendig. Mit dem Abschluss der Reformation in der Grafschaft Nassau 1555 bot sich das Gelände um die Passionsstätten für die Nutzung als neuer Kirchhof an. Die bestehende Heilig-Grab-Kapelle diente fortan als Beerdigungskapelle. Ab 1574 wurden hier Leichenreden gehalten, und auf dem alten Friedhof fanden bis Oktober 1900 Bestattungen statt. Eine Ausnahme bildet Hans-Georg Böhme, der 1953 wegen seiner Verdienste um die Erforschung der Passionsstätten dort beigesetzt wurde. Das terrassierte Gelände fällt in zwei Richtungen ab. Die oberste östliche Friedhofsterrasse wurde 1957 der Katholischen Kirchengemeinde Weilburg für den Bau einer neuen Kirche überlassen. Dabei wurden vorhandene sterbliche Überreste in ein Sammelgrab umgebettet, einige Grabdenkmäler umgesetzt, ein Großteil jedoch entfernt. Auf diesem Gelände waren auch 22 Gefallene des Krieges von 1870/71 beigesetzt; eine Gedenktafel am Kirchturm der Katholischen Kirche erinnert daran. Heute gehört ein Teil des Friedhofs der Evangelischen Kirchengemeinde, darunter der Nord-Süd verlaufende Streifen mit der Heilig-Grab-Kapelle bis zur Umfassungsmauer hinter dem Heiligen Kreuz. Der östliche Teil ist Eigentum der Stadt Weilburg. Anfang der 1980er Jahre plante die Stadt, den alten Friedhof in eine Parkanlage umzuwandeln. Die Arbeiten führten zunächst zur Zerstörung zahlreicher Grabdenkmäler. Nach Protesten aus der Bürgerschaft wurde das Vorhaben gestoppt, und der Friedhof wurde stattdessen als parkartige Anlage gestaltet.